The world of dating can, unfortunately, be a whirlpool of drama and games – no matter what age or sexuality you are. Here are the signs to look out for to tell if someone is interested in you.
The sad reality is that most people don’t want to be upfront about their feelings. This may be because they’re shy, afraid of rejection or are unsure of their own frame of mind.
Whatever your crush’s reason for their hesitance, it is possible that they actually do like you. Read on for how to tell if a girl likes you and learn the signs to look out for, whether you’re talking face-to-face, on the phone or over text.
Signs that a girl likes you
1. Her body language
The universal language – you can’t hide it. If she’s into you, her body language may give it away. Of course, the way she reacts will depend on what kind of girl she is – shy or confident.
Everyone is different, and certain personalities will show that they like you in different ways. Nonetheless, here are nine body language signs that may indicate her feelings for you:
- Fiddling – it’s that movie cliché. Does she twirl her hair or rub her earlobes? This is a classic sign of butterflies in the stomach.
- Smiles – this is an obvious one. If she smiles, she probably likes you. However, it doesn’t necessarily mean that she fancies you. You smile at your friends, don’t you?
- Her posture – do you notice that she straightens her posture around you? That is a sign of attraction, just like how peacocks show off their feathers.
- Eye contact – if she looks at you deeply in the eyes, it could mean that she really likes you. Equally, if she seems nervous and is afraid to meet your eyes, that could be a sign too. This really depends on what kind of person she is—shy or confident.
- Her pupils dilate – this is enough classic sign of attraction. Don’t stare too hard when you check though…
- Mirroring your movements – when someone is attracted to another, they subconsciously copy the other’s gestures and movements.
- Touching – does she place her hand on your arm? She definitely wouldn’t touch you if you repulsed her. So that’s a good sign, right?
- Puckering lips – girls often pout and lick their lips when around those they like.
- What she does with her feet – yes, you read that right. Her feet. According to psychology research, humans also use their feet to give off readable body language. “If a woman’s feet move when she laughs, it is one of the most powerful signals that she likes you.” However, if she crosses her feet or tucks/points them away as you converse, it’s said to be a bad sign.
Does she actually want to meet up and talk to you? This is the first thing to consider when thinking how to tell if a girl likes you because it’s so obvious. If someone likes you… they will want to see you. It’s that simple.
2. She puts in effort to spend time with you
Remember that everyone has “time” even if they say they don’t. We each have 24 hours each day, don’t we?
When someone says they’re so busy and have no time for something, it’s just about priorities. If you ask her to meet up one week and she says she’s busy every day, you’re not her priority. For example, if during her swamped few days, she’d been invited to a five-star resort with best friends… the chances are that she’ll have the “time” for that, so why not with you?
However, if she actually puts the time and effort in to see and speak with you, she is making you a significant part of her life, meaning you’re important to her and she likes you.
So, question this… does she put the effort in?
3. You keep in digital contact
You sent her a lovely message and she left you on “read.” It’s not a good sign, is it? If she doesn’t reply she probably isn’t interested. (Or she’s playing games – in which case, you don’t want that toxicity in your life.)
If she drops you with one liners and doesn’t ask any questions during the conversation, she probably isn’t that into you.
Generally, when a girl likes you, she will want to communicate on a daily basis, even if she leads a busy life.
If she’s keen to text and call, she likes you. She will keep the conversation flowing with questions and banter.
Now, remember that some people may work or study, not having access to their phone throughout the day.
And on the days when the girl takes a long time to reply, that doesn’t mean she dislikes you or is necessarily playing games. She could simply not be a “phone person,” which is actually a healthy way to be in today’s age.
You will be able to tell her feelings by how attentive and interested she is during your conversations… quality not quantity.
The ugly green-eyed monster. We have all experienced it.
If she likes you, she will likely be jealous if you express interest in someone else. Now, don’t test this theory by actively trying to make her jealous… but it’s certainly something to look out for.
When you’re with other potential partners, even if you only see them as friends, she may act differently, and perhaps insult that other person. A classic sign of jealousy and attraction.
And, lastly, remember that if she’s giving mixed signals… she probably doesn’t even know what she wants herself. If you feel she might like you, and you like her, keep an eye out for all of those signs.
If she ticks a majority of these boxes, the chances are that she does think of you as more than a friend. Why not stop with the games and just ask her? Her answer will indicate all you need.
Find out more Out Down Under news by going to our home page and reading more great stories or by clicking on the banner at the top of this story and being part of our newsletter.